Stuart Ballantyne has a passion for sea vessels, so much so that he named his 56 foot catamaran after it. ‘Passion’ is an innovative twist on the traditional catamaran which was designed over 15 years ago by Sea Transport Solutions and is referred to as a Small Waterplane Area Twin Hull (SWATH) as opposed to a catamaran.
The vessel has many appealing features for those that appreciate the cruising style of a catamaran including:
- A 7.4 metre beam with a draft of 1.0 metres.
- Less pitching, greater hull efficiencies and better handling through its bulbous bow design.
- A wide-open throttle comfortable for 23.5 knots or 44 km/hr.
- Yanmar 6LPA-STP2 engines.
- Modest fuel consumption of 22.5 litres per engine per hour and 1000 nautical mile cruise range (at cruise speed of 18 knots).
- 4000 litres of fuel on board
- Built on alloy and fiberglass.
- Incorporation of motor and motor sailing configurations.
With its Gold Coast design through Sea Transport Solutions, ‘Passion’ is setting the precedent when it comes to enhancing and diversifying the capabilities of the build and structure of the traditional catamaran.